Thursday, April 19, 2007

Let the Madness Begin!

A new beginning has started at the Missouri Golf Association. The first two Senior Series events, presented by Callaway Golf, have been completed. The events were held this past Monday and Tuesday at Leawood South Country Club and Swope Memorial. From the response of the players it was a huge success! With having the inclement weather last weekend in the Kansas City area, we still finished the rounds. Both golf courses were in great condition considering the amount of rain they received a few days before. I am looking forward to this series this summer and I think it is going to be a big hit for everyone involved!!


I am on my way to the USGA Committee meeting held at The Woodlands in Houston Texas for the next couple of days. It is a chance to learn and see what is going on with the USGA for the upcoming year, there are also break out session to attend. I am looking forward to hearing USGA Director of Regional Affairs for the Midwest Region and fellow blogger Wendy Uzalec, http://ihatetoslice.blogspot.com/, give her presentation on the proper way to mark a golf course for a competition. Also, I am looking forward to hearing David Fay, Executive Director of the USGA, speak and inform us on what is new in the world of golf as he sees it. This should be a very good meeting.


From there, I fly back to Kansas City Sunday morning and head straight to Hutchinson, Kansas for the Big 12 Championship. The event is being held at Prairie Dunes Country Club, which is ranked in the top 20 best courses in the country each year. When I played for Kansas State back in the 90’s Prairie Dunes hosted the Big 8 Championship each year. They also have hosted the Women’s US Open and just recently the US Senior Open. What a great and tough golf course. I have not been back since my senior year when I competed in the last Big 8 Championship, before they converted into the Big 12. As you can imagine the wind is always a factor on that course. I remember my sophomore year playing the 5Th hole in a strong wind, the hole is only about 440 yards, however I had to hit driver, then another driver off the deck and then a full 8 iron to get to the green. Then two holes later on the 7Th hole I hit a driver and sand wedge straight down wind to a 512 yard par 5. That is what makes the course great and that much more challenging. It should be fun being a walking rules official for two days and watching some of the top college golfers in America compete in one of the best golfing Conferences. I will be keeping you all informed with what is going on from the event each day.


Finally, if you have not entered the Senior Series events for the Springfield area, you need to go online and enter them, they are filling up quickly. Also do not forget to enter the Missouri Am, the deadline for this is May 17Th.

See you soon on the first tee.


Scott.

No comments: