Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Meet YOUR MGA INTERNS




Over the years the MGA has applied and has been awarded two P.J. Boatwright, Jr. Internship Grants through the USGA . These grants allow us to hire two interns for the summer months. The Boatwright Internship is awarded to individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in golf administration, while assisting state and regional golf associations the promotion of amateur golf, on a short-term, entry-level basis. The MGA could not in anyway possible conduct the number of events we do throughout the summer if we did not have the grants from the USGA. Most of you have already had the pleasure of meeting our 2011 USGA Boatwright Interns Jay Shimmens and Bryn Boeckman. Jayme Mertens is employed by the MGA. When you get the chance at the next event please introduce yourself to them.

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT- JAY, JAYME AND BRYN

MEET YOUR MGA INTERNS

JAYME MERTENS

Age: 21

Hometown: Jefferson City, MO

High School: Helias High School

Class of 2008

College and Major: University of Missouri

Bachelor of Health Sciences



Favorite Food: Brownies, Peanut Butter and BBQ Ribs (YUM!)

Favorite TV Show: So You Think You Can Dance and Gossip Girl

Favorite Movie: Breakfast at Tiffany’s and The Little Mermaid

Biggest Pet Peeve: People who drive to slow in the fast lane (I have awful road rage)

Hobbies: Dancing, reading, going to the Lake, event planning, Delta Gamma, shopping, and being with friends

Role Model: Jackie Kennedy

What do you want to learn from your internship: the experience of setting up an event, being responsible for how it goes, working with the website and PR. Meeting amazing people, and taking away great memories and skills that will help me with me in the future.

Career Goal: Become a physical therapist and work with children

Favorite Golfer: Arnold Palmer or Rickie Fowler (so cute!)

Where do I see myself in 30 years: Birmingham, Alabama working as a PT with a family and a beautiful home.

Dream Vacation: Italy or Australia

Celeb Crush: Justin Bieber

Fun facts: I have never drank a coke in my life, I am typically late, always right, I want to learn French and I am obsessed with dogs.





JAY SHIMMENS

Age: 20

Hometown: Jefferson City, MO

High School: Helias High School

Class of 2009

College and Major: University of Missouri

Sports Management Minor in Business



Favorite Food: Meatloaf and mashed potatoes

Favorite TV show: Eastbound and Down, ESPN

Favorite Movie: Dumb and Dumber

Biggest Pet Peeve: Things not in order and people who are unorganized

Hobbies: Basketball, going to the lake, football, golf, watching sports.

Role Model: My father

What do you want to learn from this internship: Learning the process of setting up and running golf tournaments. Meeting new people and hopefully taking away great memories that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Career goal: Something to do with sports. Maybe one day be a coach.

Favorite Golfer: Tiger Woods and Adam Scott

Where do I see myself in 30 years: Where ever life takes me! Hopefully married with kids and working in the sports industry.

Dream Vacation: Australia or Spain

Celeb Crush: Carrie Underwood

Fun fact: I am the youngest of three boys



BRYN BOECKMAN



Age: 22

Hometown: Jefferson City, MO

High School: Helias High School

Class of 2007

College and Major: Missouri State University

Sports Management Minor in Business



Favorite Food: Pork Chops w/ mushroom gravy

Favorite TV show: ESPN, Entourage

Biggest Pet Peeve: Bad phone manners

Hobbies: going to the lake, baseball, golf, watching any sports that are on TV.

Role Model: My father

What do you want out of this internship: Learning the daily operations in managing and administering golf tournaments. Developing my public relation skills and meeting new people.

Career goal: Work for a successful sports organization

Favorite Golfer: Phil Mickelson

Where do I see myself in 30 years: I see myself working at an agency that I enjoy, and having a wonderful family.

Dream Vacation: Italy or Hawaii

Celeb Crush: Jessica Biel

Fun fact: I love watching Cardinal baseball, and I rarely miss a game

No comments: