Friday, December 19, 2008

The Changing of the Game

As I sat at my desk last week, looking at the walls, trying to find something to do to past the time since I was without my life support, aka “computer”, which crashed. I realized that we as a society have turned all our needs to technology, not only in the working world but also in the game of golf.

I kind of feel like Judge Smails wife in the great movie Caddyshack when she ask Rodney Dangerfield “I cannot believe that you do not have a device that just allows you to sit in the club house and not have to play.”

Think about it for a second, we as golfers get fitted just right for every piece of equipment that we use in our bag. Over 90% of companies now days want you to be hooked up to some sort of a launch monitor to get just the right fit for your swing. Now you can even be fitted to find the right ball you should be playing. The game of golf has been taken over by the robotic world. Players are all trying to have the same mechanics, they want to be able to swing as hard as they can and hit it is far as they can. I see more golfers standing on the range and just waling on range ball after range ball trying to see how hard and far they hit the ball instead of working on how to shape shots and control distance of the ball. So the true art of working the golf ball and hitting different shot has been lost in this golf phase.

So that is why I am so glad to see that the USGA has stepped in to change the groove patterns on the clubs. It has been stated by many touring pros that on golf holes that are tight and narrow and should really reward the player for hitting the fairway, the players right now are just hitting driver of the tee to get as close the green as possible because they know that the short iron they hit for the next shot will stop the ball on the green. In my eyes that has really hurt the game and the great mental side of it. Golf played the correct way is a game that you must think through each shot that you hit, and always be thinking about where you want the ball to go. Right now golf is being played by a bunch of guys that are big and strong and just try to muscle the golf course. That is fine, but with the upcoming changes to the clubs it will not work as well. It evens the field out for all sizes to play; now the guy that might not hit it as far but never misses a fairway is back in the game.

I will tell you what, other than Tiger who is just a freak of nature, I bet next year when the tour players must have the correct grooves in play you will start to see the smaller and not as long hitters back at the top. I like this new wave or I guess you could call it the old school way coming back. However it all comes down to one factor and always will. Whoever is putting the ball the best will win!!

Until I see you on the first tee!

Scott

No comments: