Friday, November 9, 2007

IAGA Conference

The staff and I just got back from scenic Greensboro, North Carolina for a conference with golf administrators from all over North America. This meeting is a chance for every one to bounce ideas off one another and try to find ways to make golf better for everyone. It is great to see the same faces once a year and get caught up. For me I get a lot of great new things from this meeting that I try to emulate in the future.

On Saturday morning, Randy and I got the opportunity to head down the highway to Pinehurst, one of the most amazing places I have ever been. Pinehurst has hosted numerous USGA Championships, the Ryder Cup and the PGA Championship. The complex has 8 golf courses, 7 of those courses are at one place and number 8 is about a mile away. You can feel the history of this place just standing there looking out over the grounds. One of the most amazing places is to the left of the 18 green of the famous course number 2 that has hosted all of the major championships. That green is the place where Missouri’s own Payne Stewart made the famous putt on the 72 hole to win the US Open. What is so famous about this putt is that it ended up being his last victory. Later that year, as well all know how his life come to tragic end in a plane crash. As you can see in the photo, they have a monument for him and just standing there looking at the green and knowing the magnitude of that putt now, made me have chills run all over my body. I’m so glad and lucky to have finally been to Pinehurst, if you love the game and the history I highly recommended going. It is worth every penny to be there and take it all in.

Until I see you on the first tee.

Scott

No comments: