Friday, January 19, 2007

We Are Under Way in 2007

Well, it is official, the golf season is under way!!!! With the PGA Tour having started over in the warm weather of Hawaii the past few weeks and now out in Palm Springs before long we will be playing here in Missouri. That is if we ever melt all of this ice we have.

After the first couple of events I have come up with a few observations already for the early 2007 season and I would love to share them with you!!

1. I am not a big fan of all the Golf Tournaments going to the Golf Channel! In my eyes we are not letting everyone have a chance to see the game of golf. Not every household in America gets the Golf Channel, so how are young golfers or non golfers going to get a chance to see the game and maybe get interested if it is not on the main networks for everyone to see. Before the tournaments were on ESPN or USA Thursday and Friday and through the weekend. Now, if you do not have the Golf Channel you might be able to only see a few hours of the tourneys when they are put on national networks during the weekends for about three hours. We need the game to have better exposure; the number of players is going down. This is only going to hurt the game and the PGA can pat there pockets even more!!

2. The Fed Ex Cup or whatever it is called. This is not a fair thing for all players involved. I know that the PGA wants to get the bigger named players to play in more events. However these guys are making so much money in endorsement deals and appearance fees they really could care less about the Fed Ex Cup. They know that they are still going to get their money no matter what. This is killing the young players that are just getting there chance on the tour, it is taking money out the pockets of the people that need it the most.

3. Michelle Wie, at first I was all for her and competing against the men. I was amazed by her talent for her age and do not get me wrong I still am. However, she has worn her welcome out. It is getting old watching her trying to compete against the big boys and then not even come close to make the cut. I know that she had an injury in the Sony Open last week. But come on, again she is taking money and a chance away from another player. I would like to see for her to go back and compete against the women week in and week out and learn how to win and dominate the LPGA Tour. After she does that for about two years and matures more, then I am all for her wanting to come back and try again against the men. She still has not won on the LPGA Tour yet has she? So Michelle, I am all for you but I think you are hurting your own star power here.

4. Next week, I am heading down to The PGA Show in Orlando. I am very excited about going. This is the first time I have ever been. I have heard many times that I will not believe how big this place is where the convention is and all the stuff in the show to see. I am going down with Randy, the MGA Junior Golf Director to promote and try to sell some advertisements for our web site. When I get back I will give my take on the new can’t miss products for the 2007 season!!

5. Blogging is a new phenomenon that has taken over. I got this Idea from Wendy Uzelac of the USGA. She started her own blog a few months ago. I suggest that each of you go to her page and check it out, it is really great http://www.ihatetoslice.blogspot.com/ Check this out you will enjoy it. I know that I do!!

Well that is what I am seeing Thru My Eyes this week. Stay warm and think about that May is around the corner!!

No comments: